Skip to main content

Bad Tech Day... Turned Good... Oh Yeah!!!

Right. Yap swung by last evening to drop of his dad's O2 XDA Zinc and his Compaq Notebook which has been acting up [slow start up and unresponsive], I was really tired and didn't bother to checking the notebook and Zinc till later this morning when I got in the office. I fired up the Compaq and waited for it to boot. While waiting for that I had downloaded WM6 for the Zinc and was about to install it when I saw that it had 4% power left, not wanting to brick the device I decided to charge it... upon checking the box I found that the AC adapter was not there. The USB sync cable was present and I used that to charge the Zinc and new that it would take ages to get the charge to about 80% [I consider this safe for ROM flashing], Strike 1. now I went back to the Compaq which by now had loaded, I noticed I had installed Symantec Anti-virus on it before and un-installed it since it was a resource hog and I've been using avast on all the other builds people are asking me to do. Upon finishing unistalling I saw that the battery was running low... I checked Yap's notebook bag but the power brick was not there, I had no option but to power down the notebook since I couldn't trouble shoot it if it ain't on can I, Strike 2. The download of the WM6 ROM was pretty fast considering it wasn't from an FTP but the Zinc wasn't juiced up yet. So I turned my attention to my personal gadget my Treo. I had not been able to sync it since last Wednesday and there have been new contacts, appointments, notes and documents added to it since then. So I plug it to my sync cable and nada, nothing happened. I did a restart of my work PC and soft reset the Treo. No dice. I got my 'iffy' retractable cable, still no dice. I borrowed my uncle's life drive cable which looked similar to my Treo's, still no dice. I'd have pulled my hair out if my barber Sonny hadn't shaved it off last Saturday [1cm left], Strike 3. My mom called me on the intercom and said the notebook I gave her was not turning on, I went to her room and was dumbfounded it really didn't want to turn on, Strike 4. I called the shop I bought it from and they said I should bring it in. Another deadend. I was getting PO'd with all this mini-tech uprising I was experiencing... could nothing go right for me today? Heading back to my desk I noticed my aging BT dongle an old MSI Bluetooth PC2PC, circa 1997, and already discontinued, connected to my brother's XP box he was on Geek guard and was out of the office. I plugged it in and XP could not install the dongle. So I went driver hunting and found some IVT Drivers @ MSI's website. I downloaded them which took 35 mins install went 5 mins and had to restart afterwards. What ho! It said eval version, 5Mb transfer limit. Clearly my discontinued BT dongle was not licensed for IVT's software because I distinctly remember it having a Widcomm [now Broadcomm] driver and utility package. I decided to take a chance anyway and was able to sync my Treo over Bluetooth. Woohoo finally a point for me! After syncing my Treo I decided to disconnect it and backup my newly updated PST [just to be safe]. I was planning on hard resetting the Treo and seeing if somehow something got messed up'd and I couldn't sync via USB. Then I remember the Zinc... I checked on it and power was at a workable 75% I said fuck it things are starting to look up anyway so I did the WM6 update, it took only a few minutes [I reckon 10 to 15] another few minutes to install the free apps that came with it O2 included CodeWallet and WorldMate Standard Ed. A nice touch really, I proceeded to install some more apps that I thought would be essential for Yap's dad and was done with it. It was getting late and I had to pack up and go home or I would've hard resetted my Treo just to see if it would sync without any apps although I don't recall install anything new. Hey atleast I got 2 out of 4 today, right? Wrong! Upon coming home and a quick dinner I decided to fiddle with the MSI again it was impossible that the notebook was damaged it wasn't being lugged around or anything so I suspected the power brick since I bought an extra power brick for it when the first one acted up 3 months back [by the way MSI did pull that one out and returned it saying it had no problems]. So I barge into my mom's room get the extra power brick plug it in and I have juice! Writing this blog entry on my ex-notebook right now! Oh yeah... from 0 to 3 out of 4. I guess the FORCE was with me today. Now if only I can get Yap's power brick tonight I can work on that butt-munch of a notebook tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

SingTel HiCard GPRS settings