Skip to main content

Bluetooth Safe Practice for Mobile Phones

I lowered my UX's Bluetooth Security setting this am so I could find it with my Treo. I forgot to set it to hidden again and suddenly I am being asked if I would like to accept a file. I automatically denied the request cause non of my devices were set to send anything to the UX. After a few seconds there it was again. So I denied it once more and increased my BT security and made my UX hidden from searches. Requests have stopped.

I think someone's Nokia is infected, why Nokia you might ask well AFAIK the only mobile that has Bluetooth viruses in the wild are Nokia Symbian 60 mobiles. Sure there are proof of concept viri for WM as well but these have not "mutated" into something harmful yet (touch wood). Well since the office is separated by thin wood and fabric partitions and I think a majority of the folk here have Symbian 60 [1st, 2nd and maybe even 3rd Ed... jeez some of our employees have better phones than my dad] it might be hard to root out the infected mobile/mobiles. The only Symbian mobile I have is N3120 [for my sidelined Globe line] it's Series 40 [I think 1st Ed] and it doesn't have WiFi, Bluetooth or IR so the chances of infection are 0 to none hehehe. My Treo and UX are pretty secure from Symbian viruses unless these viruses were designed to travel on Symbian and wreck Windows [which is highly unlikely].

I think people are not properly educated on how Bluetooth works and what it can do that is why these viri spread so fast and far. Come on... having a small 'B' or 'dot' icon on your mobile's screen isn't cool that means BT is on! I mean some people have it on all the time and they don't even use it. It's really silly. They open themselves to Bluejacking, Viri, and a host of other security issues, not to mention drain their battery faster. Want proof? Go to a bar and do a search and see how many Bluetooth devices are on at any one time.

Bluetooth Safe Practice for Mobile Phones.
  1. Turn Off Bluetooth When Not In Use
  2. Make Your Device Hidden and Set Security
  3. Do Not Accept Anonymous Connection Requests
  4. Do Not Accept Files From Unknown Sources
  5. Do Not Open Files From Unknown Sources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]