Skip to main content

Windows 7 on the Wind

Yesterday afternoon fuel by my weekend geekout success of loading Win7 on an old MSI MEGABOOK M645. I decided to load Windows 7 Pre-beta Build 6081 on my MSI Wind.
--
NB: Windows 7 Pre-beta was released last October 28, 2008 at Microsoft's PDC and has subsequently been leaked out on the net. It is valid until Aug 2009.
--
Just to recap:
MSI Wind U100
Intel ATOM 1.6Ghz
2Gb RAM
Intel 945GM Chipset
WiFi 802.11b/g
Bluetooth
160Gb 5400RPM HDD
--
Installation went smoothly and everything has been detected by the disc I made or by Windows Update. I installed it in the 40Gb OS partition of the Wind U100, of course making a recovery DVD first so I could go back. I went to http://www.withinwindows.com to get the superbar and other features working.
--
I am enjoying the Super Taskbar and it makes navigation and using the Wind much better. The downside is now I am wishing that my Wind had a touchscreen.
--
I put IE8 on the back burner in favor of Firefox and Chrome.
--
I am still getting used to Windows Media Player 12. I can't seem to find Advanced Tag Editor though... WEIRD! Sometimes it acts up but again this is pre-beta.
--
I installed Office 12 and have created partnerships with both my Windows Mobile devices using WMDC [Windows Mobile Device Center]
--
My Windows Experience Index is 3.0 and I am hoping that new drivers for the Intel GMA will be available to improve this.

--
So far it has been a better experience versus Vista Home Premium on my ex-UMPC a SONY VAIO UX-280P [1.2Ghz ULV / 1Gb RAM / 40Gb HDD] of course that system had lower specs all around...
--
So far I have installed the following applications without issue:
Juice
Microsoft Office 12
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox
Avast Home Edition
Live Messenger
Live Photo Gallery
Yahoo Messenger
WinRAR
uTorrent
MSI SCM System Control Manager
--
Apps I could not install:
Daemon Tools
--
Gotchas: With the 1024x600 screen on the Wind some windows are cut off.
--
What I like:
The SuperTaskbar
Aero
Libraries
----
I will keep Windows 7 on my Wind for a bit longer to see if it has a positive impact on device uptime. That being said I am impressed with this pre-beta of Windows 7, I hope the final release adds even more improvements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips & Tricks|Orientation Aware Backgrounds

I just wanted to share some stuff I learned over at xda-dev's forum today.
--
Anyway as the title states this is about today themes and Orientation Aware Backgrounds. It's really quite simple
--
All you need is 2 images [3 if you want to change the Start Menu image as well] of the proper resolution.
--
QVGA:
tdywater_320_240.gif [Landscape Image] = 320 x 240 image
tdywater_240_320.gif [Portrait Image] = 240 x 320 image
stwater [Start Menu Image] = 190 x 290 image
--
VGA:
tdywater_640_480.gif [Landscape Image] = 640 x 480 image
tdywater_480_640.gif [Portrait Image] = 480 x 640 image
stwater [Start Menu Image] = 399 x 586 image
--
What you do is copy the files to \Windows directory and viola! Orientation Aware Backgrounds!
--
Notes: The theme's default images will be used once you switch themes. So you would need to copy the files back again to \Windows dir for it to work again, what I do is I have placed Wallpaper sets in ZIP files on my Storage Card so I can change and change as desired.…

Honey glazed donut #foodspotting

Taken at Starbucks Bluewave Marquinton

Black Cat vs Firestar vs Silver Sable?

Spider-man needs a partner or side-kick. I prefer crime fighting partner vs side-kick tho.

Marvel is rumored to be hiring Josh Brolin for Thanos as the mega-villain for their cinematic universe. This means Guardians of the Galaxy & Avengers. Both are super teams.

Fox has teased a mega-villain for the X-Men super-team to go up against in their latest movie. FYI, X-Men: Days of Future Past has a post credit scene. I think Fantastic Four is also being rebooted. Yes that is a super-team as well.

DC still playing catch-up but they are going in with the heavy hitters Bats & Boy Scout with a rumored Amazon in the mix. We all know the goal is the Justice League super-team

Meanwhile, I think Sony is in trouble. Right now they have the "Web Head" going up against multiple villains and the formula is kinda stale. Franchise fatigue not withstanding, our favorite web slinging, trash talking super-hero has the "Sinister Six" super villain group to fight but who can h…