Skip to main content

Day 2: iPhone to Android: Apps & Issues

Ok. As I mentioned in my previous post I am embarking on a one (1) week Android only experiment. This post will focus on the apps I have purchased to make the switch from iPhone to Android.

The experiment will last until Tuesday, June 8, 2014, at that point I will decide if I will stick to the Mi3W as my main device and use the iPhone 5S as a secondary. Right now the iPhone is in a drawer.
PODCASTS - I am podcast fanatic, I think they are great and on my iPhone and Mac, I use the amazing [DOWNCAST APP]. I have tried about ten podcast apps in my previous flings with the Android platform and all of them have not been a good experience.

Well that all changes with [POCKETCASTS by shiftyjelly] it is a paid app at 159.41PhP and it’s fast, slick and easy to use. However it does not support enhanced podcasts, I hope this functionality is added in the future.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-10-12

MUSIC – The Mi3W’s player does not display album art, so I am using Google Play Music to play local files.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-14-03-10

Let us go into PIM data, I use iCloud for most of my personal information needs.
CONTACTS, I still use the simple and reliable [CardDAV-Sync free beta by Marten Gajda] it’s FREE!
Here is my old & short video on using CardDAV sync… I really should update this.

NOTES – This morning I was supposed to look up something in my notes and realized that I have not yet addressed the issue of notes. I did not realize how much I depended on iOS Notes until it was gone, well I found [iNotes - Sync Note with iOS by Appest Inc.] and now I have my notes back for PhP 115.05.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-28-54

CALENDARS & REMINDERS – The second, third and fourth app from Marten Gajda are to get iCloud Reminders to sync to Android. I do not use iCloud Calendar, but we need SmoothSync and Tasks to get Reminders on our device.
  1. [SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar] PhP 131.30 This works for Calendars and has an added bonus of working for Reminders. So I am using this for reminders only.
  2. [JB Workaround Cloud Calendar] FREE – this app ensures that your iCloud credentials are not wiped upon reboot.
  3. [Tasks] FREE – this companion app is for Reminders
Screenshot_2014-07-02-13-43-10

PASSWORD MANAGEMENT – I have been an [eWallet by Ilium software] user ever since my PocketPC days and I own the app in almost all the platforms it is available in. PhP 446.10

I did experience an issue of not being able to sync my wallets from my MacBook Pro to the phone, I used my Windows 7 machine to sync my wallet to the Mi3W.
ewallet-sync-pro

SYNC SOFTWARE / OTHERS – Not the biggest fan of iTunes and I must admit the simplicity of drag-and-drop is refreshing.
  1. On the MacBook Pro running Mavericks I use [Android File Transfer]
  2. On my ACER 4740G running Windows 7 [MiPhone Manager][ENG language workaround] and/or Windows Explorer
COST – as expected I needed a few apps to get some of the things we had on iOS to sync or to work with Android.
Capture
I have yet to find out if the investment of PhP 851.86 will be enough for the duration of this experiment, but for now that is my initial cost of moving from iPhone 5S to Mi3W for me. YMMV

ISSUES & OBSERVATIONS
If you use Authenticators (for example Battle.net) and Banking Apps you would need to setup / authorize them and keep in mind that the iOS versions might stop working. This is par for the course you do not want multiple authenticators you want what is with you to work.

iMessage – I sort of miss this, I guess a lot of people I do contact are iPhone users. Still there are hundreds and hundreds of IM applications so this is not a big issue.

iTunes – I have a love-hate relationship with this piece of Apple software, but the MiPhone Manager is not something I would like to use on a daily basis, even with the ENG workaround. It is slightly less annoying than Samsung Kies. Drag and drop with Windows Explorer and Android File Transfer is really quite refreshing. If xiaomi wants to be a success internationally they need to localize their desktop app and also release a Mac version if possible.

Some minor hoops to jump thru to make Android my primary device but it is not as difficult. I will certainly report back if there are more issues that need to be discussed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

SingTel HiCard GPRS settings