Skip to main content

The Circle is Now Complete...


My friend Chinang gave this to me a few weeks back and I've been meaning to post about it but managed to put it off for some reason.

Here is the 1st PDA I've ever owned a Compaq iPAQ h3870 [IIRC the last iPAQ before hp bought Compaq]. It's a beast of a device compared to today's relatively tiny PDA phones. It brings back a lot of memories of fiddling with the Windows Mobile Classic OS [formerly Pocket PC], this actually got me hooked on WM and was pretty high tech for it's time. Alas this old fossil's battery which is both internal and non user replaceable is now dead. It still works if I plug it into AC power though. These old devices didn't have NVFS [non volatile file store] and lost data when you lost power, a definite bummer for sure but I've learned to do power management and the importance of backups through this early limitation. I'd like to point out however that today's devices do have NVFS which is great, modern devices also have swappable batteries it appears Apple seems to be advanced in everything except battery theory.

Definitely gives you a view of how devices have evolved over the years both in terms of hardware, os, and software. I am thinking of a way to make use of this device here at home or maybe at the office. Probably make it a digital picture frame or probably a desktop music/media player. Oooooh a project! :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

How To Export iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts