Skip to main content

Windows Mobile 6 is Out, The Wait is On

Windows Mobile 6 [aka Crossbow] is out [the base for the OS WinCE 6.0 was announced last Nov 2006], Microsoft has once again 'fixed' [used liberally here] it's naming of the OS.
Windows Mobile 6 Classic = PocketPC
Windows Mobile 6 Professional = PocketPC Phone Edition
Windows Mobile 6 Standard = Smartphone
Since the next version of my fave OS is out... it's time to wait for the new devices, as much as I enjoy my 750v I'm still excited about the upcoming devices. I'm sure we'll be seeing more device announcements soon and hopefully new devices by the 2nd half of 2007. I am not optimistic that my 750v will get an OS upgrade [hell it's about 0.5 years old and it still hasn't received a ROM update, from palm or Vodafone]. So there we go, an excuse to get a new device to try out the new OS hehehe.

I could buy an old device like the Wizard or Universal [2 devices I've owned before] and try out the 'leaked' version but I guess shelling out money [even for 2nd hand units, mind you] to play with a leaked version of the OS doesn't sit too well with me or my wallet for that matter. Still things change and I might be tempted if I see a good enough deal.

For the meantime I am looking for more stuff to put on my 750v. Apart from the accessories I've ordered online [ETA 1.5 weeks, provided CNY doesn't delay my order]. I've bought some new games and am trying out some new apps. I'm still very much happy with my Motorola HT820 's but a new mono Bluetooth headset seems to be in the portents [my Motorola H700 is acting up already]. The GPS hooplah has died down a bit maybe because I know that GPS maps for the Philippines are scarce and not really updated [so far I've only seen 1 map from MapKing and it's for Metro Manila but not updated] , and that our road routing stinks [no offense Mr. BF of the MMDA]. As I said before WiFi is not really being missed that much and I doubt an investment in a miniSD WiFi card for my 750v is advisable since I know I will be buying a new device anyway and that device would most likely have WiFi built in and a microSD card slot. Speaking of flash cards I've sold off my Transcend 4Gb 150x SD Card [seems overkill for my IXUS 50 which I barely use nowadays], I still have my 1Gb microSD Card though which I'm saving just in case I get a new device that takes microSD, and of course my 2Gb miniSD inserted in my 750v.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]