Skip to main content

Review|Skype v2.2beta for WindowsMobile


Almost a year after I tried out Skype Low CPU version on my dopod 838, I'm trying skype again. This time I am using my Treo 750v and running it on SMART 3G [as the Treo lacks WiFi]. Granted skype was not a mainstay on my device configs [I still have far too few contacts to consider it], I'm trying it out for a friend. A word of caution though, using skype means using data [unless you're on free WiFi] this means costs, be sure you understand your provider's billing and rates.
--
So what has changed? Well for starters Skype 2.2 beta now supports both PocketPCs and Smartphones [I don't have a smartphone ATM so I was not able to test on that platform]. I've also noticed the addition of softkeys which makes using skype easier. It seems that this version of skype no longer needs a low cpu version.
--

I tested skype with a friend he was on a Desktop PC and I was on my Treo. IM'ing was not a problem and works great especially with the Treo's QWERTY keyboard. VoIP was another thing allt together. Some parts of the conversation were clear [better than my 1st try with my 200Mhz PPC though] but most were not. I was discussing this with him, he thinks it's the processor [he says on a 624Mhz PPC on WiFi skype was ok] and I think it's the bandwidth I get from 3G. Well maybe it's both. So I think I'll be shelving Skype again until I get a miniSD WiFi card or a faster PocketPC with WiFi.
--
NOTE: YMMV Tests were done at Marikina on SMART's 3G network. Using a Treo 750v 312Mhz PPC. I suggest you try it out yourself [preferably over WiFi and with a faster PPC]
--
Pros:
Free
Easy to Use [support for WM5 softkeys]
Works for Smartphones and PocketPCs

Cons:
I don't have to many skype contacts
Requires high spec hardware
although DATA is cheaper than IDD rates it's still a bit expensive [YMMV]

Skype for Mobile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

SingTel HiCard GPRS settings