Skip to main content

The Curse of Convergence

I decided to converge my devices in late 2003. I wanted to combine my PDA [a Pocket PC] and my mobile phone. I reckoned that having an all in device would be more convenient and economical. I would only need to carry one charger, one data cable [or none at all if I use Bluetooth].

Fast forward 5 years of having a converged device and here I am and I still have 2 devices because I have 2 lines a SMART and SUN line. My 2 devices [ATM] are both Windows Mobile powered.

HTC TyTN 2 Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
HTC S730 Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard


Both may be considered as converged devices. I can do all the things that are important to me. Make calls, sms, email, get and listen to podcasts, listen to music, watch videos, play games, do some docs or spreadsheets, surf the www, snap photos and video. Sounds impressive right? Well you bet it is... But here's the dilemma: Although a converged device may be a 'jack of all trades' it may not be a 'king' of any. Personally I have enjoyed using a converged device. However I am getting tempted to de-converge my devices...

I recently got a new note/netbook the MSI Wind U100 and honestly it has been taking over most of the tasks that I have designated to my devices. It may be the case of just using the newest gadget more. Apple's iPod Touch and Microsoft's Zune look very very tempting for a PMP [Portable Media Player] / MID [Mobile Internet Device]. I am also getting tempted to get a SONY PSP or Nintendo DS mainly because of the STAR WARS games available on those. Also way back is the thought of investing in a console like SONY PS3 or XBOX 360. I guess one of the reasons I am holding back is that these devices don't really have local support. Most of them are paralleled, hacked, modded, add to that the fact that most of the content will probably be not available for our fraud ridden territory, I think I will be investing but not getting the whole experience of these devices/platforms. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

SingTel HiCard GPRS settings