Skip to main content

A NAS-ty Experience…

Nowadays we are consuming a whole lot of content, this means we have a whole lot more files, which in turn means more stuff to backup.

With that in mind, I spent most of the afternoon & evening trying to figure out how to connect a USB drive to our Linksys WRT-610N and have this drive accessible to my notebook so I could use it as a NAS or Network Attached Storage. Setup was done in IE using Linksys’s WEB UI which is clunky and hard to use.

The Linksys WRT-610N v2 is an OK router but it sucks as a NAS

After hours of trial and error, I was able to get my notebook to see my 4Gb USB stick. I then proceeded to offload the contents of my WD 320Gb HDD to prep it for the NAS. After doing that I formatted it with the router and repeated what I had learned from setting up the 4Gb USB stick. After setup I was surprised to see that I could only access 4Gb of the 320Gb HDD. So I decided to redo everything and after 5 or 6 formats and setup cycles I gave up.

As an added bonus: my FAT32 formatted WD320 drive no longer accept big files. This was because FAT32 file system chokes on items bigger than 2Gb. How could I use it as a backup drive if it chokes on big files?

I have decided to format the drive 1 last time (for today at least) in NTFS and am now copying back my content to it. 

I also found out that… Windows 7 Home Premium can’t backup to a NAS (you need Business or Ultimate for that, way to screw with your customers Microsoft) so that completely sinks the backup to NAS idea. I would need to use Windows Home Server (WHS) to backup and stream media but that would mean I needed a dedicated machine to run Windows Home Server, which was of course the original plan, which I had set out to achieve earlier this week. I abandoned the concept of a WHS solution when the trial for Windows Home Server 2008 refused to install on my Wind U123H. As I went around V-Mall I also discovered that NONE of the shops sold Windows Home Server 2008 systems or DVDs. Basically I was hoping that the Linksys-NAS solution would work so that I didn’t have to get a WHS. Sadly, this is not the case.

Right now my backup solutions are:

  1. On site (Office): Seagate 320 – manual back-up every 15th of the Month
  2. Off site (Home): Western Digital 320 – manual back-up every 15th of the Month
  3. Cloud: Carbonite (just bought a 3 year subscription a few days back, initial back-up is at 4%)

While my HDD's are getting filled faster, Carbonite back-up seems like it is taking forever.

Will continue looking for a better solution for my backup, media serving needs.

Tweet Me from YOUR BLOG HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]