Skip to main content

Some Tech Dribble...


Am a bit bored at work... So for a break I am listening to some tunes and blogging for awhile. So what are you listening to right now? Me I'm listening to Tiësto's In Search of Sunrise 5: Los Angeles wirelessly mind you using my iTech Blueband and Dopod 838... How geeky is that! :o)

Anyway I was at Greenhills Shopping Center yesterday and I happened by a shop that sells PDA phones [mostly second hand but some brand new units as well] it's near the walkway near the Cellphone Tiangge. Some gentlemen were eyeing the 838 they had on display of course they were asking a lot of questions about it... Since I had one I decided to chime in. I do think I made a strong case for Pocket PCs specifically converged devices. I argued that with a PPC Phone you could do almost anything you want from checking e-mail to surfing. Playing games, to playing Media [that's music and videos], you could also take images [although a bit crappy on this department], of course PIM, and typing up some short Word or Excel files. I mentioned WiFi, BT, GPRS [EDGE has not been rolled out by any provider and I mentioned that too] and IR as forms of Wireless that helps the device and therefore the user stay connected. I also talked about non-volatile memory and why WM5.0 devices seem slower compared to earlier versions of the OS. So it was not really a biased one sided review but more of a user's overview. Once the dust had settled the gentlemen moved on [I think they were still looking for alternative devices as the 838 was being sold for a whopping PhP 45,000 ~ I got mine for PhP 41,000 in January in Wan Chai, Hong Kong]. The salesperson at the store couldn't believe that I knew so much about PPCs and he asked if I was in IT. I said, no my work is shoes, he was stunned and asked me some more info about PocketPCs. Basically I told him that a PocketPC phone is a tool. It makes work easier, it might not do everything very well but it does get the job done. I also told him that one of the advantages of the platform is that it has a lot of applications to further enhance the user experience. I also got to play with an i-mate JASJAR [second hand @ PhP 55,000 their Dopod 900 brand new was PhP 65,000]. Maybe I was spoilt by my i-mate JAM and Dopod 838... but I felt that the JASJAR was too too too heavy, size wise it was bearable not much bigger than my first PPC a Compaq iPAQ h3870. They also had the HTC Prophet and O2 XDA ATOM, these small babies looked very sleek and nice as well but after a few months with a built in keyboard I don't think I would go back to stylus only data entry. I was hoping to see a Dopod 577W but they did not have it in stock yet. I would very much like to play with one maybe get a second mobile just for fun... but honestly I am running a bit low in funds so this is not something I should be doing. Besides I should really be more forward looking... probably a 3G unit for next year. Something like the HTC Hermes. I do regret getting the iTech Blueband as it doesn't have AVRCP... maybe I will hang on to them for a bit longer and upgrade next year.

On the Symbian front I got my usual email from Nokia announcing their new mobiles... The Nseries N93 looks mighty fine... However I am worried about Nokia crippling the BT [N91 has BT 1.2 but A2DP and AVRCP have not been activated] also I read that most apps designed for Series 60SE and FE don't work with their newer phone OS which is third edition. The form factor and 3.2 MP camera is really tempting though. Maybe I should save up and get this as a second mobile to replace my camera hehehe :)

I am also thinking of getting a new notebook can you say CoreDuo? Hahaha but honestly I am holding off until Vista is out and stable [Say around 3 years hehehe]. Just to squeeze out the most out of my MSI M645 which is not even a year old.

So far in the 1st Quarter of 2006 I have completed my tech-roadmap so I'm a happy camper for the meantime atleast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]