Skip to main content

Review // iPhone4 OtterBox Reflex Case

Otterbox (@OtterBoxhas been well known for making tough cases for our beloved devices. I used their Defender series for a bit, excellent protection but very bulky and heavy. I gave my Defender case to my good friend he has big hands so it looks fine when he uses it. 

When I got wind (on twitter of course) that the local distributor was selling a new series of OB cases. I went ahead and got one. Full disclosure I got a 10% off because I knew the distributor. 

Follow: @TenkieBox on twitter and like them on Facebook

Description, Photos, Pricing:

(photos from OtterBox Reflex Series for iPhone4 page)

This a two piece case, with hard plastic and rubber, recessed screen keeps that glass screen from the surface. the top and bottom fit and locks well, although it is very tight with a screen protector. There is some concern that it may scratch the device itself. I chose to keep my protector on. Price is PhP 2,500 (subject to change w/o prior notice)

After a week plus of use here is my bulleted pro & con list:

Pros:

  • Thinner than the defender series
  • Lighter than the defender series
  • Easy to remove lower portion for easy docking 
  • Rubber areas to absorb shock
  • Good balance of weight, bulk, and protection

Cons:

  • Case could cause scratches on glass and on the metal band surrounding phone while installing or removing any top or lower part. I remove cases often (I have a mophie juicepack air when I run low on batt. Proceed with caution.
  • Cut outs are too small for dock connector (Apple official - ok, Belkin - ok, Griffin - not ok) removing the bottom to dock is ok, but removing to charge via cable is not.
  • Cut outs for headset jack too small / deep (Belkin retractable 3.5mm jack - not ok)
  • A bit slippery 

Verdict:

Recommended with reservations. Overall I am not happy with the case. To be fair I think my use case is a bit abnormal, I use multiple cables for charging and music (note: All Apple Accessories fit well, 3rd party is hit or miss though), I remove cases to use a battery extender when not near a charger. However if you get this case and rarely need to remove either top or bottom part you should be ok. I will be using this case until my LifeProof case arrives or I get tired of removing either parts when the cable I pull-out suddenly doesn't fit, I must admit it is getting old after a week and change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]