Skip to main content

Review|hp iPAQ rw6828 Multimedia Messenger


[Meet JediPAQ_v2: the FORCE is Strong in this one...]

My first Pocket PC was the Compaq iPAQ h3870, I replaced it with another iPAQ [this time it was hp iPAQ] the h2210, as much as I wanted to continue using iPAQs the next offerings from hp were not as interesting eventhough I was itching for convergence [i.e. h63xx] it wasn't the right size for me, so I switched to an i-mate JAM, then a dopod 838 this January, I got an O2 XDA Exec last month, but when I saw that the rw6828 already in store the other day, I was so tempted that I got it. It's nice to be back with an iPAQ... the brand that started my addiction to PocketPCs :-D

So here I am with a brand spanking new 6828 :-) Special thanks to Charles Paw of Digital Walker for the great deal!
--
Actually the rw6828 is manufactured by the same factory who makes the O2 ATOM [Quanta from Taiwan] . Most Cases Fit [Alum and Leather] Silicone ones fit but the button placements
are not exact. ATOM Accessories will probably work with the 6828 as well.
--
I won't run down the specs and bore you just click here for the specs on the hp Singapore website.
--
Note: the rw6828 is for the Asia Pacific Market only so US and EU peeps will have to go and have it paralleled in or go with the ATOM [aka Neo in EU].
--
Impressions: As with previous iPAQs I've owned the build quality is top notch! It comes with an AKU 2.2.x ROM which means MSFP/A2DP and most important to me the ability to get rid [via registry hack] of the ridiculous Battery meter that MS introduced in AKU 2.0. I sold both my Motorola HS820 and iTech Bluebanad and have not tested ouy BT Headset as I am still waiting for my Motorola H700 and Motorla HT820. I was able to send stuff to and from the iPAQ, my notebook, and my Exec.
--
The sales package is really nice well for me at least:

[Loaded package!]
--
You get a USB Cable, USB Charger with 2 plugs [HKG/UK and Flat Head], 2 Flip covers [mine came with grey and blue], a belt pouch, Manual, Installation CD [this one has Activesync [or stink depends on your experience really], RealPlayer [I don't use it], Adobe Acrobat [PC], CD to Mobile by Pocket Mind [PC], GameBox Games. Though I am thankful for all the extra Games what I wanted included was atleast a PDF viewer, granted you can get Adobe Acrobat for PPC 2.0 for free my last 3 devices [JAM, 838, Exec] had it built in or on a CD.
--
I love the flip cover! Simple yet effective! No more smudge screens or accidental screentaps whilst in a call [out of the box], with most devices you would need a case to accomplish this.
--
Aside from the usual Windows Mobile 5 Apps hp has included the following:
  1. TodayPanel [by: RhinoCode]
  2. PocketMusic [by: PocketMind]
  3. hp Photosmart Mobile [Minor Photo Editing]
  4. hp Photosmart Camera [Camera App]
  5. hp Help and Support
  6. Auto Configurator [for GPRS/MMS Settings]
  7. Esmertec JAVA Midlet Manager
  8. Self Test Application
--
Ok some gripes, lack of friggin' buttons! This device has so few buttons you will definitely be needing a stylus, although I am spoiled by the 838 and Exec's QWERTY KBs. Also hp did not include the smartdial/t9 pad that HTC usually includes in their devices [to some this may be a negative but to me it is a plus since I hate that crap, I always use Letter Recognizer or Keyboard SIP/HW]
--
Performance wise it is not as zippy as my Exec at 416mhz [same processor but OC'd to 520mhz] but definitely better than my 838 [TI OMAP at 195mhz]. The sound from the speakers could be louder I expected more as they are located on the front already but I think you'd have to have vibrate on if you don't want to miss your messages and calls, especially if you have it in a case. As for the camera I maxed out everything [quality and resolution] and tried a test shot. The image was nice but it took the rw6828 so long to save the image, I hope future firmware updates fix this. Being touted as a multimedia device...hp wisely added an FM radio and PocketMusic [I've always used WMP even if a lot of people bad mouth it, so I think PocketMusic will remain untouched unless I am bored and try it out]. Haven't really tried out the FM Radio but I did save 3 stations. Just to test it out, like the ATOM or Sony Ericsson Mobiles a headset is required to turn on the Radio, there is an icon to transfer sound to and from the headset or the speakers. Reception was ok in my room. :) Another plus is that most of my purchased apps that aren't VGA aware look great on the 6828's screen [loading the same apps on the Exec sometimes the look was blurry]. Another plus is the rw6828 retails cheaper than the ATOM! To me this is great as I've had good experience with hp support and after sales and I hate the extra crap that operators like O2 slap on their devices [my Exec runs in clean mode with all the O2 crap removed], I tried Globe's GPRS [2G] while eating lunch awhile ago and it was slow as crap... Globe really needs to improve their service. Oh yeah the 6828 supports EDGE and I get an E [meaning EDGE aka 2.5G] signal sometimes; I was talking to Globe customer service the other day and they say they do support EDGE but like their 3G the coverage is so spotty. The device is GSM 900/1800/1900 quite adequate for Asia. I also tested it out with the office WiFi and our home WiFi network, connected with no problems [it is 802.11b]. Setting up MMS and GPRS is easy with the Auto Configurator application similar to HTC's Auto Config app you choose a country and your provider. Choosing the Philippines gave me 3 choices Globe, SMART, and Sun.
--
Unlike HTC's devices which put a tray icon that is the CommManager [controls the GSM, WIFI, BT Radios] the rw6828 relies on a today plugin tapping it will send you to the iPAQ's Wireless Manager. Very much different from HTC devices but it follows your selected themes base hues so it looks nicer [too me atleast], I did not see any settings for Exchange/Push Mail no biggy I won't use it anyways, I'd rather download my emails when I want them in case you live in a cave or something you should know that G-Mail aside from having a huge capacity also has free POP forwarding which works really well with PPCs. The Wireless Manager is really simple as well so any idiot can be using WiFi or BT in no time. Also unlike my previous PPCs this one doesn't have the option to lock all buttons except the power button when in standby, so if you don't use device lock accidental key presses will occur and power up your device, to easily use keylock [even without the today plugin] at your today screen: Press and hold the END CALL button. Unlock is done the usual way, a pity unlock can't be done via hardware keys like the locking though. hp has also did not include an icon to easily rotate the screen [all the HTC devices I've owned except the 838 had a rotate icon on the tray] so by default the 6828 has no tray [which means more Today screen real estate] I'm a creature of habit and have put my HandySwitcher Icon on the tray, I'll be looking at ways to add a screen rotation icon on this unit in the forums after I finish this review.
--
My Globe SIM now sits in an iPAQ, something I wanted to do for a very long time now. I have [as with all my PocketPCs] christened this one: JediPAQ_v2
--
PocketPC/Smartphone Naming History:
Compaq iPAQ h3870 = BeanPAQ
hp iPAQ h2210 = JediPAQ
i-mate JAM = BeanJAM
Motorola MPx 220 = MotoBean
dopod 838 = Bean838
O2 XDA Exec = Exec_Bean [Current Device: SMART Buddy Pre-paid]
hp iPAQ rw6828 = JediPAQ_v2 [Current Device: Globe Telecom Postpaid]
I've uploaded some pics to my flickr account [they are public and you can see them there]
the images are kinda crappy I might re-do them [in the office where I get better lighting] if I have time and post them up to the same set, the set name is hp iPAQ rw6828 [duh!]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

How To Export iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts