Skip to main content

Tips & Tricks|Disable Automatic Data Connection

Does your device ever connect without your permission thereby elevating your data costs? Well here's a fast and simple trick to save you some moohlah on data.
--
Tap Start > Settings > Connections [tab] > Connections
Tap Manage Existing > select your Connection (in this case it's SMART Internet Settings) > Edit

Tap Next > Delete the last letter/number of the access point (in this case it is t from internet) > Next > Finish
--
Now each time your device attempts to connect it'll error out and won't connect. Remember you need to add the letter/number you deleted to get data again. This tip is not elegant but it works, I've been using it for awhile and I only enable data when I need it. This does not affect WiFi or MMS :)

Comments

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for this, which addresses a problem I've suffered from a lot.

    But isn't a simpler solution simply:

    Start > Comm Manager > Data Connection Off

    - while leaving Phone and Wi-Fi set to On?

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris

    thanks for commenting.

    I don't think that prevents apps from connecting w/ data automatically. Do a google search for nodata from modaco it's a small app that works really well for stopping those unwanted data charges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My phone just made a fool of me. When I made my routine credit check this morning, I found it had swallowed a few quid - yet I had Data Connection switched off and I'd done absolutely nothing with the phone - except take it along in my pocket while walking the dogs.

    Then I discovered the display was screwed up - all sorts of buttons not showing. I was able to establish, however, that Data Connection was switched to On. I did a soft reset and I've turned DC off again.

    I assume the system crashed, turned DC on, and then started updating something, such as the weather. I need to install NoData pdq.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris NoData is the 1st thing I install on windows mobile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

SingTel HiCard GPRS settings