Skip to main content

Mobile Provider Update...

My SMART SIM card has been residing in the XiaoMi Mi3W coming up on a month now. This decision was made since I was not getting LTE at home or at the office anyway. The Mi3W is a H+ (3.75G) device only. Yesterday I saw SMART boasting about LTE-Advanced (they are calling it 5G) more false advertising and empty promises from SMART. I have decided to keep my SMART number for awhile longer because changing numbers is such a chore and to cover my bases. I do miss iMessage on my SMART number tho, I guess WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger will have to do.

Meanwhile on the iPhone 5S I have had my newly minted Globe account with a recycled number which means SPAM text even without giving out my number. Changing the number is an unnecessary expense that I would rather not have so I guess I am stuck with this number. I have not been using it heavily since I have a 1.5Gb cap on my current plan. This actually made me think about how my iPhone uses data. I went into

Settings -> Cellular ->  Use Cellular Data For:
here is what I have on for cellular data
I went ahead and turned-off most of the apps and left the iCloud related stuff, instant messaging apps, and often used social media apps. I figured I could turn cellular data back on when necessary. Caveat, you will get annoying pop-ups when cellular data is off and the app wants to use it. Annoying but better than going over your data cap. I already upgraded my account to the 5Gb cap the change over should happen August 23, 2014. I think I will keep a tighter leash on cellular data usage on the iPhone.

I am quite enjoying Spotify Premium and I recommend these playlists

Black Hole #Trancefamily
http://open.spotify.com/user/blackholerecordings/playlist/2BfXSgtwWVSoHwVhaiv8B1

100 20th Century Classics


It would be nice if Globe had a short-code or app to check current Cellular Data Usage, come on Globe if you're going to implement your FUP strictly we the users should have a way to check our consumption before we get throttled or get the bill. And No, My Data Manager is not the answer especially for iOS users (it works well enough on Android but not iOS, it is not Mobidia's fault more of an OS limitation me thinks).

I am less and less enamored with SMART. Too many concerts and promos not enough coverage and LTE service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]