Skip to main content

Why is Apple killing Enhanced Podcasts?

I've been an off + on podcaster for a few years. You can check out my electronic music appreciation podcast = Thank You For The Music (shameless plug).

From the start, I wanted to do enhanced podcasts just like the wonderful podcast Coverville.

Enhanced podcasts add chapter support with different artwork per track and even URLs to podcasts. A really useful feature IMO.

In recent years it seems both iTunes + Apple's Podcast app support for enhanced podcasts have become worse.

iOS
I've been testing the Podcast App and it doesn't even display the chapter artwork properly.

It works well on Downcast App.


Desktop
In iTunes 12.6 as you can see the controls are hidden, difficult and don't work very well. The chapter artwork also doesn't change except on the mini player view. WEAK!!!

Downcast for macOS has better support Enhanced Podcast support vs iTunes 12.


It seems third party devs may be following Apple's lead, OvercastFM my current audio podcast app of choice seems to have dropped enhanced podcasts support. Good thing I also own Downcast for both iOS and macOS which still does support it.

I am not sure how many people use the enhanced format but I do for my show. It really is annoying that they are doing this, I think this is another sign of Apple deciding on behalf of its users. This is not how a company should do things. SMH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]