Skip to main content

Apple Screwed Me With iPhone Apple Care And All I Got Was This Lousy Coupon

I purchased my iPhone in Hong Kong July 2009. A few months back the battery has begun acting up and the sim card tray broke.

As I was travelling to Guangzhou this week I decided to cut my trip and detour to Hong Kong to have my 16Gb iPhone serviced for the sim card tray and crappy battery life. I call the HKG repair center and they say that I should bring the unit in.

I got there early (I was the 1st customer of the day). I hand over my iPhone and Gordon shines a penlight in the 3.5mm jack and at the dock connector. He informs me that the water damage triggers have been tripped and that my iPhone which was supposed to have warranty til July 2011 is now void of warranty.

Keep in mind I have never dropped the device in water or any other liquid. I try to plead my case with Gordon who is apologetic. He offers to call Apple and get me someone to talk to. After staying on hold for about 15 mins I am talking to Brian from the Singapore office. I run thru the whole story again and again he says my device cannot be repaired for free, I ask to be elevated to his supervisor and waited 20 more mins before talking to Jay. For the 3rd time I explain and plead my case. She too was apologetic but again said my device could not be repaired for free.

Let’s recap: So basically I bought my 16Gb iPhone 3GS full price and then bought Apple Care and now because the water damage strips have changed color I am out of warranty and would have to pay 2200HKD to get a refurbished unit.

She offered me a coupon that would give me some discounts at the Apple Philippine online store valid until June 26, 2010. Apologized again and we ended our conversation.

I got the coupon because I had no other alternative. I am contemplating if I should switch platforms again. I have been a longtime WindowsMobile user (7 years) and had difficulty switching because I had to purchase all new apps again. I have been spending a lot on the Apple AppStore over the past 10 months. I am not sure if I will get another iPhone (or another Apple product ever), switch to Android, or wait for WindowsPhone7 to catch up. 

I love the iPhone and the apps but this is just not fair. I would write Steve but I don’t think he cares for a lowly iPhone user in the 3rd world without any connection to the media or those crazy tech blogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]