Skip to main content

Making an Old Box New

Since my shobe has a notebook already I decided to take the home pc to the office to make it my work pc. This will free up my UX to make it my personal system and admittedly the UX is slow even compared to this old P4 box.
--
Before:
Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT
Intel 915 Motherboard
1024Gb RAM @ 400Mhz
80Gb Seagate 7200RPM HDD SATA
PCI Lan - yeah it's that old that the board doesn't even have on board LAN
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Graphics Card
Samsung DVD ROM
FDD
15" AOC CRT Monitor
Windows XP Pro SP2
--
The box is a bit dated but I think a few upgrades here and there will probably tide me over until I'm able to save up for a more powerful notebook. I'm telling it straight the UX is an awesome UMPC but it is underpowered for some tasks [i.e. Photoshop] so I need a workhorse PC.
--
So what do I want to change with this box?
I'm removing the FDD, I don't need it.
The 80Gb HDD is too small IMO, I'm adding a 320GB Seagate 7200RPM SATA HDD [that'll bring storage to 400Gb total]
The Samsung DVD ROM is dead. I took that out and will put in a LITE-ON 18x Litescribe DVD/RW optical drive.
I'm using my 19" SyncMaster 940BW as my monitor for now. Now my UX doesn't have a monitor, budget is a bit tight at the moment so I guess the UX's built in monitor would have to do for now.
I'm also thinking of bumping the RAM, I count 4 SODIMMs on the motherboard, 2 are occupied by 512Mb each. Maybe I should remove those and add 2x 1Gb for 2Gb RAM or add 4x 1Gb for 4Gb of RAM [I think 4Gb would be the max for XP or Vista]. For now I'll keep it a 1Gb and see how it works with the OS I pick. Speaking of the OS, I think I'll go with Vista Home Premium or Ultimate on this re-build.
--
I've ordered the parts I need and will be getting them later after work, I'm hoping to finish this box before the weekend. Tomorrow is re-build a box day :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

How To Export iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts