Skip to main content

Review|Sony Ericsson Z610i

Got a new phone... it's a Sony Ericsson Z610i. Overall it is a nice mobile.
--
Here are some specs:
Triband GSM/GPRS [800/900/1800] and 3G [UMTS 2100]
176 x 220 LCD display 262,144-colour TFD
128x36 OLED outer display
2MP and a secondary VGA camera
Clamshell formfactor
Bluetooth 1.2 with A2DP/AVRCP
Memory Stick Micro [M2] Expansion

--
Right let's get to it then.
--
Package Contents:
You get the mobile, a battery, a charger, data cable a CD and some manuals. There is no headset [even wired] included. Not a big deal as most included headsets are crap anyways. Besides why go wired when you can go wireless.
--
Formfactor/Design:
This mobile is really sexy has nice curves and a nice finish [especially the top part], the hinge the supports the flip seems sturdy enough. The keys are well spaced there are quick keys to web, picture/video, and shortcuts... however there are no dedicated Call and End keys which struck me as a bit odd. Another thing is the keys seem to Also there is no camera key located outside meaning you have to open the phone to take pics and vids. There are tiny keys for volume and a media key as well, I reckon they should have put the camera key there instead but that's just me. I got a Luster Black coloured version... :o)
--
Phone:
Using the phone in dualmode [GSM/3G] with my SMART SIM card ATM. The web browser is not anything to write home about but it would suffice for short term browsing. Reception is excellent. I haven't tried using it as a Data modem though.
--
UI [User Interface]:
This is where the mobile shines IMO the interface is very simple and intuitive, it's snappy and not laggy at all even with 636 contacts [940 numbers/details] and 300 calendar entries and a theme loaded navigating and using the mobile was not hampered at all. Searching thru contacts is not as easy or as fast as my Exec but it's a minor issue... I guess I'm just used to the fast and easy searching in PocketPCs. Another great thing about the new SE mobiles is that you can actually update your mobile on your own yep no need to bring it to the service centre or to the shady stalls at tiangges all over the metro, you can do it at the safety and comfort of your own home.
--
Bluetooth:
Sony Ericsson did a great job including A2DP and AVRCP in this model actually almost all of their new mobiles have A2DP and AVRCP built-in. I tested my 2 headsets a mono Motorola H700 and my stereo HT820 both worked without any problems. I also used BT to send tones and themes to and from my O2 XDA Exec. Also had no problems connecting the z610i to my notebook and I was exchanging files within seconds after pairing.
--
Synchronization/Update:
The box includes a CD and data cable to sync your PIM data and media content to the device. The phone let's you choose between Phonemode and Disk mode, really nice touch. I had no problems syncing over my 635 contacts from outlook no fumbling about at all, you could also back up your contacts to the M2 card. The images from outlook contacts were not synced however but this is minor. What bugs me is that the calendar seems to have a 300 appointment maximum which is really lame, since my appointments didn't fit [I have around 500 to 600 appointments, most of them recurring] I didn't sync it. Notes and tasks can also be synced. The phone charges while you are syncing it I find it really nice that more phones have been made to do this.
--
Internal Display and External OLED Display:
This mobile was definitely designed to be an mid or entry level fashion phone of sorts. If they were aiming for a higher price point a more high resolution screen would have been in order sa qVGA [320 x 240 pixles] no matter the 176 x 220 display is quite clear and crisp and really ok. Well the external OLED display isn't really new SONY's mp3 players have been using the OLED display and glass look for awhile now [about 1.5 years] I guess SE took a page from this design and incorporated the glossy finish and OLED display. It's really cool apart from showing the time, signal, battery strength, 3g availability, bluetooth status, and other stuff it also notifies you of calls and messages in a scrolling function. Oh yeah and whilst in call there is sort of an animation or screensaver if you will of bubbles on the OLED. Snazzy!
--
Cameras:
Most camera phones I've owned have crap cameras [they are pocket pc phones btw] the best camera phone I've had the pleasure of owning would be the Nokia N7610 more than a year ago and the Motorola v3i which I had for almost a week also had a pretty ok camera compared to my PocketPC phones. Well this one outperforms those by leaps and bounds and it saves really fast too! It has all the effects and usual stuff from camera phones but it doesn't have a flash. I probably won't be ashamed to whip out this mobile and use it for emergency and/or impromptu snaps. The internal camera I haven't had the pleasure of using yet [I have no intention of doing a video call I think it's a waste of money]. It is comforting to know that there is one though.
--
Expansion:
This along with most of SE's new line uses the M2 or MemoryStick Micro format it's as small as transFlash or microSD but is about a third as expensive. Great going SONY another proprietary format... who would've thought?! The included 64Mb in the package is ok to start you off, but if you intend to use this mobile as an mp3 player better get a higher capacity M2 Card.
--
Conclusion:
If you're on the lookout for a simple and nice looking phone [maybe as a secondary mobile or weekend mobile] then look no further. Sony Ericsson has a definite winner here.

Pros:
3G Mobile
Real Cool OLED external display
Elegant finish
Spacious key layout
Supports A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles

Cons:

300 Appointments limit
Keys could use some more tactile feedback
Camera has no flash
Yet another memory format from SONY

I took some quick snaps of the Z610i but they don't look so good I'll be uploading some better shots tomorrow.

More info: sonyericsson website

---
EDIT: Apparently I've no time to take better shots of the mobile so I've decided to upload my crappy shots to my multiply and Flickr accounts. Links are bellow.
--
ON MULTIPLY
ON FLICKR


Comments

  1. I've tried using the z610i as a remote control over Bluetooth [Media player and navigation] pretty cool feature. If your notebook or PC has Bluetooth do check it out! I'm using IVT Software's BlueSoleil Stack on my notebook by the way. You have to connect it using Bluetooth HID [Human Interface Device]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

Toshiba G900 WVGA PocketPC Phone

AKIHABARA NEWS has some drool worthy snaps of the G900 I mentioned a post ago. Pics posted are property of AKIHABARA. -- Toshiba G900 Windows Mobile 6 Professional [PocketPC Phone Ed.] 3inch WVGA [Wide VGA 800 x 480] 64Mb RAM + 128Mb ROM UMTS and HSDPA miniSD expansion slideout QWERTY WiFi Biometric security [finger print scanner] -- All I can say is... WOW! After being absent from the WM world Tosh is back with a bang with this device. IIRC Tosh was one of the first OEMs to use VGA screens with the e800 series, now it seems they are pushing the envelope again with WVGA. -- WM6 supports the following resolutions: 176 x 220 240 x 240 320 x 240 = qVGA 320 x 320 [new] 480 x 480 [new] 640 x 480 = VGA 800 x 480 [new] =WVGA -- I hope palm comes out with a hi-res screen treo [320 x 320 will be fine :o)]