Skip to main content

Going WMA

I've finally done it. Went WMA on my Pocket PC phone. 2 Reasons for doing this
1) I was getting tired of encoding my big mp3s (i.e. 320 or 200 Kbps to 192Kbps)
2) Space consideration. Encoding my mp3s to 128Kbps WMA gives me more room for music/videos/data etc.
--
Initially I had around 125 mp3s of varying bit rates on my device. It took up around 800Mb of my 1GB Storage Card. This morning I decided to set Windows Media Player 10 to automatically encode my mp3s to 64Kbps WMA before copying the songs over to my i-mate JAM. I was amazed at how much memory I freed up... after around 2 hours of waiting I had around 179 mp3s 300mb left! Wow really great. I thought well I celebrated too early as I plugged my earbuds in and listened to a song I noticed that the song's quality was greatly reduced and some unpleasant noise was present... being spoiled with 192kbps quality this was unacceptable! So I decided to delete all the songs and re-encode in 128kbps. All in all, I am happy with my decision I have the 179 songs and still have 30Mb to spare on my Storage Card, that's about 43% more songs for me to carry around than having it at their original bit rates.
--
The whole process is pretty much painless just select the encode rate under Tools\Options\Devices\[Your Device]\Properties\Quality press ok
Make your playlists/synclist.
Click on the Sync Tab and Click Start Sync
Then you wait (it takes some time especially if you are converting/copying alot of songs... fortunately you can play some other media while all this is going on)
--
Another option would be to convert my library to Ogg Vorbis (ogg) files which they say has great quality and compression compared to WMA or MP3s. I'm not really sold on this idea yet as ogg isn't as mainstream as WMA, MP3s or Apple's AAC formats. I would love an AAC player for my device but I haven't seen any software for that. The next option would be to get a dedicated audio device (ala iPOD). This is really tempting as iPOD prices are way down and now they are all colored! I'm not sure if I should plunk down Php 25K (that's the approximate price for a 60GB iPOD Color) as I am saving up for my next Pocket PC Phone which I suspect would be at around Php 40~45K. Also getting an iPOD would drive up my expenses as I really like to accessorize my gadgets and we all know how much accessories you could get for an iPOD.
--
For now I'll be sticking with my imate JAM as my audio device. Hey it may not be 'in' with the times but it's and existing solution and it works. :o)
--
I love my Pocket PC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone

Add iPhone X "horns" to your Android Smartphone Available on GitHub

How To Export iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts